I’ve got the end down in my latest draft to my current project,
and hope to make this my last draft; of course, a few final revisions are
needed.
RECAP: In my last post, I proposed that once we write “The End” it’s time to look at the whole thing/the whole manuscript, focusing
on the big picture. In my free time
this past week (I have a full time job, too)—that’s exactly what I’ve been
doing and will be at it another few days or more.
As I do, I’m looking for well-developed
scenes which show action and pivotal turning points. I’m looking to get rid of redundancies
and to fill in gaps as need. With all that in mind, the story needs to be paced
well—not bogging the reader down, but moving them forward; excited for the next
part.
Breaking it down, these are key things to look for:
- Paragraphs that are well structured with a beginning idea and a concluding sentence which will transition the reader to the next sentence.
- Word choice to bring clarity and conciseness.
- Style and tone which conveys one’s personal voice, whether it be casual, formal, persuasive, or emotional. In my autobiographical story, an informal childlike voice is important in the chapter that explores my early childhood. As I age in my story, the formal tone in my voice becomes more heightened.
- Voice should be strong, leaning toward more active voice sentences and fewer passive voice sentences. In a sentence using active voice, the subject of the sentence performs the action expressed in the verb. Active voice involves the reader.
![]() |
| photojenni |
Once I’ve read a chapter and it surpasses
any fuss, I like to hit the “find all” tool to find and then weed out problem
words. There are exceptions to the “rule” to get rid of a “problem word.” If in
doubt, read the sentence, and the paragraph the sentence is in, problem word
omitted—this usually determines if it stays or goes.
Clarity with conciseness
will move the reader through your chapters. I’ve made a list of my top ten, and
you can easily add your favorite problem words.
1.
began/begin/begun
2.
just
![]() |
| photojenni |
3.
knew/know(n)
4.
probably
5.
quite
6.
really
7.
saw/see(n)/seeing
8.
start(ed)/starting
9.
that
10. very
Some tried and true resources, I find especially
helpful, and you may too:
- Active vs. Passive Voice: Purdue OWL of Purdue University
- Basic editing program, no downloading: Hemingway App
- Editing a Manuscript (Common Mistakes), 3-minute video.
- How to edit memoirs—a friendly approach to understanding the editing process, 3-minutevideo.
In a soon upcoming blog post, I’ll share about the line editing to
follow. Feel free to comment—I’d like to hear about your writing journey.
-Elle-


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment; much appreciated.