Sunday, August 14, 2016

How to Patch Holes in Expressive Writing




Last week, I shared my style for finding, er embracing, time to write. Since then, I received an email from someone who shared how she moved past the mindset of “waiting for time to write” to “scheduling time to write.” She does it a week at a time to fill in a blank calendar. Or, in her case, a spreadsheet. First, she puts in her commitments, then pencils in her time to write. Dually important, she lets others know of her schedule, writing time included. Her name is Ali, and you can read more on her blog at http://www.aliventures.com

With time allotted to write, this week my focus is on how to avoid holes in my expressive writing.

Another email I got earlier this week was from Eva, of The Lady Writer’s League, who described how to avoid plot holes in one’s story. I took it a step sideways, to notice my own holes; not so much in the facts of my memoir writing, but in my reactions to those facts.
     I’m in a space in my written memoirs in which I was half the age I am today. At twenty-some-years later, while the facts of my life stick out to stare at me, the influence in how it has affected my life thereafter could be mind boggling.
     I had to take time out from cohesive writing to let my pen flow into its own private world. My goal was to remember how I felt at the time in which events unfolded. Once I unabashedly purged myself, I then went back over it, but that time, for the sake of my readers. Only then could I describe how a chain of events has influenced my life course, which as a writer, inevitably strengthens the believability of my plot and story line.
     As a writer, it’s up to me to express my take on life, otherwise it will remain a boggle to my readers. An example, is that I’m closing on a house later this month. There are pros and cons to this house and I have a few more days to pull out of my commitment if I want. But, I don’t want to, and I know why. But, do my readers know why, as I write my memoirs; my life story?
     As a friend among friends, my decision making is influenced by who I was, just as their decisions are also. My life story has a history of homelessness, unlike many of my friends. That fact causes me to face fear where others may face fears over things much different. It’s an influence, carried over from my past to my present. In our differences, my goal is to express our similarities, so my readers may look to the other side of any fears whereby they have been influenced.
     And my ability to obtain this house would not be possible if it weren’t for my father and his gifts to me. As I drove away from the latest home inspection, and then waited for a train to cross, I pulled his bronze coin out of my pocket. It’s the medallion I describe in my poem to him, on my Dedications Page. I don’t turn to prayer in times of indecisiveness, as some of my friends do. Instead, I held his love in my hand, and wondered aloud, “If only you were still alive, what would you tell me to do?”
     Much of my manuscript is about where I came from, what happened, and what I am like today; three concepts. Reading more on what Eva had to say about avoiding holes, I can truly say those three concepts are interconnected to become one. You can find out more about Eva, her online resource community, and the writing courses she offers, from her blog: http://ladywritersleague.com/
     Thank you Ali and Eva! Full swing into writing my way through the third revision of my manuscript, I’m excited to say, I have completed the second part of its four parts. Officially, deep inside Part 3, I am at a revised word count of 99,000 words thus far, for everything. Before the day is over, and my birds go to sleep tonight, I plan to get well past the 100K mark!
     How about you? How does your life stack up and how can you express that to others, no matter what your genre?

-Elle-





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment; much appreciated.