To be focused on life today
is important for me because opportunities at hand build up who I am
and my connections to others. Today is September 11, and the fifteen-year anniversary
to the morning I listened to our then President’s speech on my radio. I was not
an emergency responder, or a victim in the Twin Towers, nor did I have loved
ones in the New York and Washington D.C. area. I also did not have a 9-to-5 job
or a place to call home, or a family I was accountable to.
Yet, that day’s
tragedy impacted me because our President’s message encouraged us to move
forward with life without forgetting those who lost their lives. For me, a
forward motion meant to make something of my life. To be inspired by memoir is my foundation for expression through writing. It gives me responsibility
to describe how I moved past difficulties and into a meaningful and productive
life, as I have today, fifteen years later. My 9/11 story, titled, Tower
to Freedom will be published in Anthology 2016 by Covington Writers
Group, Kentucky. (See my Credits page).
Sharing my life with
others, from friends to coworkers, to associates, and (of course) my pet birds,
involves not only writing, but also getting out of myself to be a part of our
greater community. Two days ago, Friday, instead of retreating to my writing
journal on my lunch break, I joined forces with a coworker and friend, Kim. Our
hour was spent as we listened to each other’s written works in progress, and
shared our wisdom so our words could come alive to our readers.
On this day, I encourage writers to be a part of our great country,
and one’s community. And to build upon the ideas in our writing through mutual
friendships. A few reasons to share writing rapport:
- Open conversation causes us to think aloud as to what we are trying to say in written word
- Answers to questions from the fellow writer causes us to clarify our written expression
- Listening to the other writer opens our window of broader understanding
- Collaboration on like-minded ideas provides an array of ideas for expression to our readers
- And (as in the case of my Friday lunch with Kim), great coffee and a new salad to try, not to mention the short walk from work to the restaurant in the warm sunshine lifted our spirits.
and share with others what peace and freedom mean to you.
-Elle-
Image by friend, Deb Schaff, as posted on Facebook on 9/9/2016.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment; much appreciated.