“Writing is supposed to be fun.” That’s what a
writer-friend told me just a day or so ago, and so true, so true. I write
because I am, and with that motto comes projects I’m committed to. I have my
current project: my manuscript of my life story, and I have an article to
revise as asked by a magazine editor, I have short memoirs to be ready for
inclusion in anthologies, and the list goes on.
To set aside the word, “commitment”
and instead, be committed to “writing for the fun of it”, is the undercurrent of who I am
as a writer.
Having
recently bought a house that is in its stage of becoming move-in ready, I’ve
found myself busy in more places than just writing. When at my new house one
day this past week, I was tending to smaller detailed items while contractors were
in and out of my house with electrical and plumbing supplies. Each time they
came back in, I had reason to scurry out to my front porch, pick up where I had
last left off in my writing, and enjoy my break. As I looked up from my page, a
family of baby birds caught my eye, from my front lawn. Their frolicking and
innocent play caused me to smile and bask in the warm breeze with nature’s
melody.
My own pet birds, my finches, are the love
of my life, and my family. But, they were back at my apartment, along with
boxes of packed goods waiting to be moved to the new house. I was inspired by
the birds in my yard to write about the purpose and meaning my family of
finches provide me.
Other places to find inspiration—and fun—for our
writing, can be found most anywhere as we breathe in life. Keep a journal with
you wherever you go, either paper and pen/pencil or on your electronic gadget,
whichever you prefer.
Either way, we don’t need internet to simply write, and
to write for the fun of it. No online browsing for research is needed.
Below, are but a few
places to find inspiration to make writing fun:
Art: People often look
at a fine piece of art then turn to whoever they’re with and describe it. As a
writer, such description could be explored through creative writing, then
expanded on.
Dreams: A friend of mine—she’s
a poet—swears by this one. Her nightstand has pen and paper, ready for her at
any hour of the night. When she has a vivid dream, she awakes and jots in down.
Music: On my drive from
my new house to my apartment last night, the Bee Gees came on the radio. Visions
of me in green and red plaid bell bottoms, listening to records with my
girlfriends came to me. What an inspiration to boogie with? Er, write about.
Nature: When I walk my
neighborhood instead of driving, I see so much more, from roses blooming, to
people out in their yards, to kids playing ball. Of all there is to take in,
something is perfect for the plot of the next big story.
Pets: Our feathered (or
furry) loved ones have such antics; why not write about that?
Trinket gazing: This secret I
learned from a class I took. For my assignment, I looked at a floral orange
ceramic fish, at about eight inches long, which sits among my trinkets. It is a
piece of memorabilia from a friendship I had, when I lived in Seattle. The memories
etched in that fish were ones to fully express in my own words.
Today,
I will be back at my new house, with the commitment to paint the dark blue walls
to a creamy grey. I have my writing journal with me. All in all, it will be a
fun day.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment; much appreciated.