The Indie Day Event was, well, not
well attended—at
least
not at my Kentucky area library. Among our small intimate gathering, we
shared navigation techniques in the self-publishing venue with each other.
Books were for sale (autographed too!) by
local area writers, and our library host had a table of freebies, from
bookmarks to bumper stickers for the taking. A big thank you to all
libraries who hosted an event in commemoration of this day.
As mentioned in last week’s post, my area
event was hosted yesterday, at the Boone County Main Library in Burlington.
It’s only by supporting our independent authors that they will be respectfully
recognized as contributing members in the wealth of books available in book
stores and libraries.
For those who would like some help in the
self-publishing venue, the secretary of my community writers group, Jenny, has
a company which will work with you in getting your story out there and into
readers’ land.
As Jenny’s “About” page describes, (quote) Seagull Productions LLC was created as a non-profit
organization as a way to give back to the community (unquote). Among other
offerings, it includes opportunities for writers.
And regarding my community writers group, I’m
ecstatic to announce our group Traditions Anthology has been published,
available on Amazon—and in person, through any of our members. Unlike our
annual anthologies, this is an extra publication, to share individual
traditions, as a way to say “thank you” to our loved ones who’ve stepped
aside while we write.
Yes, this past week, I’ve been involved in
ways not limited to my writing chair in front of my pet finches. Connecting
with other writers enriches my writing inspiration to share who I am. And I
pass on to you, some of the ways to be a part of our great big writing world:
Have your very own Author Event. You
can do this by contacting your area library in request of a reserved time to
share your stuff from a podium to an audience. As a community member, its
likely free. Or seek out other areas to vocally share your writing. I have a
friend, Kim, who as a poet. She gives her time to local small venues, to share
her spoken poetry, sometimes even to music.
Join an online writing community. I
belong to SilverPen, which I highly recommend because it is a friendly critique
environment, free but based on a point system. Earn points by thoroughly
reviewing others’ writing and expend points when posting in request of reviews.
It also has forums on a variety of writing topics to share in.
There are many online writing communities to
be found. A few others—and I am not user established with these, to form an
opinion—but check these out, if you’d like:
Join an in-person local community writing
group. Look to your library or on meetup.com to find one near you. I belong
to Covington Writers Group, Kentucky.
Take a writing class. Many community
colleges and libraries offer non-credit classes at a nominal fee. And mingle
with your classmates.
Find a coworker who is also a writer.
Invite them to lunch to hear their latest written piece.
I hope to meet you in our writing circles.
-Elle-
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment; much appreciated.