My life as a writer would be lacking if it weren’t for my invaluable writers group, The Covington Writers Group, Kentucky. Yesterday was our last meeting of the year. At a buffet restaurant, we gathered to celebrate the holidays and our yearly accomplishments--about twenty people, in all. It was a free lunch, sort of; we used proceeds from sales of our published group anthologies for rewarding ourselves.
Reasons to join a Writers Group were shared in a recent past post, My Writers Group—My Home, on 8/28/16. After all, writing may be a solitary endeavor, but what writer couldn’t use a little support, feedback, and camaraderie? In this post, I’ll zoom in on what to do in a writers group.
During the first hour of our luncheon meeting was all about socialization and hugs, along with good food. By hour two, we got down to business for two hours. And, then went overtime for a social meeting after the meeting. During our sharing session, several of us asked for feedback as we read aloud the writing we had accomplished since the last time we met.
With Christmas in front of us, I shared an excerpt from my working manuscript: a Christmas story from 1993, at 400 words from deep in Part 2 of my life story.
For those who aren’t familiar with my current project, you can read all about it on my website at http://ellemott.wixsite.com/author/current-project
![]() |
| Photo by Sandis Helvigs |
Feedback for me included:
- Rephrase paragraph starts to lessen the “I” or “We” introductions.
- Stick to words used in the early 1990s. Don’t use modern day slang to tell a story which took place before the lingo came into use.
- While I have a great use of sensation from sights to smells, I need to include sounds. Descriptive writing needs to be all inclusive of our five senses.
Change my phrase, “darn good” to “damn good”.
With consideration of comments, I’m confident my revisions will result in a well written piece with my readers in mind. I had started with my writers group a year ago, January, when on “Page 1” of my third draft. Feedback as I wrap up this draft has been invaluable.
I’m not saying to make each and every change suggested. But, for me, what works, is to consider each suggestion as a credible suggestion. By respecting wisdom from fellow writers, I decide whether to make change, or reject any suggested changes.
To reach my decision of acceptance or rejection, I ask myself these questions:
Does it help construct the high concept in my message?
Does it promote or detract from the issue that drives my story? *
Does it support the themes I’m interweaving into my story?
Is it grammatically correct?
Is it my voice—and not another voice interjecting?
Would the change make my idea/setting/event/or character more clear?
*If your story is instead character driven, ask yourself if the change would support your character. Whereas, my working manuscript is a high concept issue driven story.
Answering those questions, I’ll likely leave my phrase “darn good” as it is. Reason being, an interwoven theme is my relationship with my late great grandmother—Nana I called her. She had taught me to use language void of cursing. That’s not to say there’s absolutely no curse words in my story, for there is. But, I have to think about my voice. This Christmas story is one of gentleness, serenity, and gratitude, and in such, I wouldn’t naturally describe this event as “damned.”
This is what goes on in most any typical writing group:
Accountability to write regularly.
Active Participation. To be a writer; not just talk about writing.
Commitment to be a part of a community of like-minded people with shared goals.
Community building. It changes how we feel about writing, and has a direct impact on our practice, and in our lives. Its about who we are as people and the difference we can make.
Empowerment. To find one self, and to discover who you are; who I am.
Idea Building. Get inspiration for different subjects to explore in your writing. Hear different ways to go about your writing.
Obligations to provide constructive feedback for the work of others.
Opportunities to share our work with a responsive audience.
Overcoming Fear. To feel the fear of vulnerability, and do it anyway. With instant feedback, your readers will let you know what works and what doesn’t, and why or why or why not. It’s a safe place for experimentation; a fear-breaker.
Value for our creativity; an ambiance which enhances our lives and provides opportunity for continual growth in the arts of literature.
If you are in the Northern Kentucky/greater Cincinnati area, please consider joining us. We meet the first and third Saturdays each month, at the Center for Great Neighborhoods in Covington. If not in our area, you can still collaborate with me; just drop a note in the Comment Box, below.
Resource: Covington Writers Group Facebook Page.
Keep writing; together we can make our world a better place!
-Elle-




No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment; much appreciated.