Sunday, March 12, 2017

Manuscript: Proofreading its Hard Copy



My manuscript is fully written. But, if only it were perfect—almost there; almost the best I can possibly do on my own. In prior posts, I described how I edit for content, and then how I line edit for hard-to-see errors. Done that; and now it’s time for my hard copy check.

 Prior Posts


 






I’m soon embarking for an out-of-town convention. Carpooling, I’ll have  five hours each way to ride in the passenger seat—and read through my hard copy. Never mind, the colorful trees, architecture, or counting out-of-state license plates in my view out the car window. 

Instead, this is what I’ll be looking for:
Photojenn


  

1.   TONE

Having the right tone can be tricky -- you've got to be aligned with your overall distinct voice.

 

For example, your voice may be one of an encouraging tone ... but you’re caught infusing harsh, snarky words. Make sure you're course-correcting on those elements so your message doesn’t sound out of place, or worse yet—fallible. 

 

When you're proofing, most tone issues should already have been worked out in previous editing rounds. Still, it's possible that a few parts may stick out like a sore thumb—it's your job to notice and fix them. 

 

2.   LOGICAL FLOW

Make sure each sentence is followed by one that makes sense. This also holds true for paragraphs, too. Smooth flowing transitions are the goal.

 

If you find there's an illogical leap from one sentence or paragraph to another, that's when you know you need to make edits to those transitions.

 

3.   GRAMMAR and SPELLING

Even the best writers can have grammar mistakes slip through. We know to use "their" instead of "they're" but somehow it slipped by. We know our sentence should have the word “my” and “me” and should read,

“Her car has my luggage in the trunk, and will get me to Tennessee.”

Yet, somehow it now reads “Her car has by luggage in the trunk, and will get my to Tennessee.”

 

Hyper-vigilant is key to detecting grammar and spelling mistakes.

 

When correcting grammatically incorrect sentences, it’s quite possible to inadvertently introduce new errors. So when you fix a problem, take time to read that new sentence or paragraph carefully, particularly for misplaced words and subject-verb disagreement.

 

As problem areas are revealed, I will highlight, and chicken-scratch, and take notes in my binder. However, whatever works best for you to draw attention to areas to fix, go with it—it needn’t be my way. If I’m inclined to rewrite a part immediately, I will; and if not, I’ll make a point to fix it later. Either way, the key is to reveal problems.   

Photojenni



BONUS: Text to Speech


You can have your hard copy in front of you and try this idea out. In Microsoft Word, a function exists for a male voice to read aloud our words. I’d think this is likewise possible in many of the word processing programs—for example, the popular Scrivener has it built in. I’ll show you how to add it to Microsoft Word 2016.  


1. Next to the Quick Access Toolbar, found in the top ribbon (see screenshot below), click Customize Quick Access Toolbar.


2. Click More Commands. (Found left center).


3. In the Choose commands from list, select All Commands.


4. Scroll down to the Speak command, select it, and then click Add.


5. Click “OK”.


6. When you want to use the text-to-speech command,


        a. Click the icon on the Quick Access Toolbar. (See screenshot below—in the top darkened ribbon, I’ve circled it in white). 

 


        b. Highlight the text you want read.


        c. Listen


        d. And read along—this is important to catch errors mentioned above, from tone to flow, to grammar and spelling.


Public Domain, Galileo Galileih

 If you’ve been following at least a few of my blog posts, you’ll understand this is a big project for me, and a first for me. I dabble in smaller projects, like local anthology submissions, and even a few magazine articles.


(but) None of those top out past 4000 words. This big project is over 100,000 words. It’s a biggy. In essence, as I learn from my mentors—through lectures, on line classes, podcasts, blogs, etc., etc., I am sharing with you what works for me.


Individually, we are alone in our writing spaces. Collectively, in sharing our techniques, we can make our communities and world a better place by giving them something great to read. Please share in the comments if you’d like to weigh in on anything.    



PublicDomain, Ketubah
I’ll keep you posted in my progress. ‘Til next time, I wish you the best and hope these tidbits help you.




-Elle-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment; much appreciated.