![]() |
| Photo by rawpixel |
When I wrote my manuscript, “In the beginning” weren’t the first
words I penned, and “The end” weren’t
my last words. Like a roller coaster, I was in and out and flipping upside down,
putting together what seemed like a jigsaw puzzle. And then there were the
edits and revisions, which certainly had me all over the place.
So too, it is like this in writing my book proposal.
While there are many components to this, I’m starting in the “middle” with my
chapter summaries. After all, these summaries will be the backbone in
supporting everything I need to say.
If you have a memoir,
fiction manuscript, or other narrative creative writing story, then this post could
help you.
Tips for writing each of the chapter summaries are:
Keep it brief, from one to
five paragraphs. Once you’ve covered the below needed
information, that’s all the facts you need:
· Who (As minimal as one word)
And each of the below can
be covered in one paragraph, if not less:
· Goal(s)
· Problem(s)
· Reaction(s)
· Outcome
Leave out subplots. Only
the gist of the chapter is necessary.
Also:
· Include internal and external conflicts—perhaps in the
goal or problem descriptions.
· Keep characters to a minimum. No need to include everyone who’s involved.
· Keep paragraphs to a manageable size—no long-winded
jargon—keep it tight.
· Don’t use rhetorical questions
· Do tell what happened, and
· Do tell the end.
Theme, readership
objective, and takeaway are also musts. These
need to be smoothly interwoven into each chapter summary.
Theme
Each summary needs to be inclusive
of my themes. For example, two themes in my manuscript are 1), my relationship
to my maternal great-grandmother, Nana, and 2) secrets. These two themes are
stated in my description of my manuscript, as found on my web page. This excerpt reads:
My story is
about becoming who I was supposed to be, and not who as a child I agreed to
become. Highly regarded by our family matriarch, my place in the family lineage
as first great-grandchild came with a price. I learned early how to please my
nana. But, life isn’t perfect—sometimes it involves testing dangerous
waters—and as a young woman my transgressions chased me into an abyss of
secrets. Nana was no longer living, but her revered voice pounded at my
thoughts. Then, I wanted to make right where I’d gone astray, but could I?
Would I?
So, in each summary, I need
to reference my secrets and I need to show movement through my relationship
with Nana. I’m still working this out—it’s a lengthy process to write these
summaries. But when done, I plan to do a “search and find” in my document,
pulling out my Nana statements for review. I will look to see if these
statements tell a story all on their own. Where revision is needed, I’ll
revise. Having a bunch of facts about Nana isn’t going to impress anyone. Showing
our evolving relationship and how this affects
the outcome of my goal is my aim.
For you, themes are any
topics which pervade every chapter.
Readership objective
Think of this with a
twofold purpose. 1) To target who will read this and 2) Marketing your story to
reach these readers. A story might be good, but if our intended audience doesn’t
know it exists, we fall. In stating our key events of the chapter, include those
parts which specifically correlate with your targeted audience.
Takeaway
Takeaway is the message, reflection, or truism. In each chapter,
ask yourself this question: “If I could
make my reader understand something, what would it be?”
Now, infuse an emotional
answer in your chapter summary. For example, in my second chapter, I want to let my readers know it is
possible to have courage when faced with opposition. Thus, in my chapter
summary, I describe an event which is in opposition of my feelings, how I feel
about it, and then how I gain courage to
overcome the difficulty.
For more about Takeaway, I
have two past posts on this subject:
In Conclusion
![]() |
| Photo by rawpixel |
Once completed, to
consider if the overall length of your chapter summaries as a whole is on
target, consider this math equation:
Number of chapters’ times one.
Number of chapters’ times five.
If your paragraphs are
well structured and brief and to the
point, then your final overall count in paragraphs should fall in the range between
those two numbers.
![]() |
| Photo by James Tarbotton |
Remember, we are writers—we can do this. And
it can be exciting to do this because it
means an opportunity to tell agents, editors, and publishing houses why our
readers want us to get our story published. Please share in the comments or
drop me a line if you’d like to weigh in on this.
![]() |
| Photo by Joe Wroten |
Bye for now, and happy writing.
-Elle-




No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment; much appreciated.